Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Perfect Pet

First off, Dylan has wonderful nursery teachers. She loves them. Each week she asks about going to church and to class. She knows exactly where her class is, and doesn't look back once she walks through the door. She just loves it. I love that she enjoys it so much, and hope that it continues.

Today after church, when I went to pick Dylan up from nursery, I had no idea I was in for such a treat. As usual she was excited to see me and ready to walk out the door without a backward glance either. It's funny, she goes to class and leaves it the same way, utterly excited and happy. I reminded her to say thank you to her teachers and to make sure she had everything.

Her teacher handed her a fish-shaped hat she had colored (but didn't want to wear) and Dylan thrust it in my arms. I then went to take the other thing she was holding and she promptly swung it out of my reach and said, "No mom, my frog." Uhhh, what? She was holding a clear plastic bag filled with water, and I was sure there must have been a fish in there to match the hat she had colored.

Imagine my surprise when she told me it was a frog. I asked her to stop swinging the bag around and show me her frog. My stomach was just in knots thinking we now had a frog to take care of. How could her nursery teachers have done this?? Giving 10 two and three year olds a frog was not good. What were we supposed to do with this thing?

As I took a closer look at Dylans frog I let out my held breath. It was a slimy frog, but it was also purple. And fake. It was absolutely perfect! Dylan adored her frog and wouldn't let go of the bag. And I knew just what to do with it.

As soon as we got home I found an old glass fish bowl in a cupboard and I filled it with water. I then dumped the frog inside. Dylan thought it was a perfect home for her frog. She sat at the bar and watched her little frog, and occasionally I caught her with her hand inside his bowl, poking at him. She must have stayed like this for 10 minutes or so.


As soon as she heard Todd come home, she was so excited to show him her frog. Again, she sat at the bar and told him all about it.

I don't know what inspired her nursery teachers to give away this perfect pet, but I will forever be grateful. The presentation was perfect. I mean, what two-year-old wouldn't love a plastic frog? But a plastic frog in a baggie filled with water is so much more exciting. And I am so glad I don't have to worry about feeding or cleaning a fish (or a frog) and that this "pet" will never die.

3 comments:

Jamie C. said...

Nicole that is adorable! Her face is priceless! She must be so thrilled to have her own pet! What did she name it? I love it so much, I might just have to find ourselves a little pet something!

Bryn said...

That is the cutest thing ever!! Dax must have had the same lesson becuase he had 4 colored gold fish when he got home. He has this tiny green slimy frog that he got from one of the quarter machines at the supermarket and he LOVES it! Imagine it in water? He's going to have fun this afternoon thanks to you!!

Shanen said...

Ohh sure, try ot rub it in....our fish are trying to turn into frogs, they just keep dying first. No big deal. Do you think if I take 3 FAKE frogs back into the 1st grade classroom, they would be just as excited???