Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Child's Prayer

It's time for a proud mama moment.

For about the last year and a half or so Todd and I have been saying prayers each night with Dylan before she goes to bed. Each night it's the same prayer for repetition, with just an occasional change. For the last 9 months Dylan will occasionally repeat the prayer after me. I will say a few words to her, and she'll repeat them to say the prayer herself. About 3 months ago, Dylan started choosing each night who's turn it is to say the prayer.

Tuesday night, she took another step forward. We started the bedtime routine the same as any night. Once we were seated on the floor for the prayer, I asked Dylan whose turn it was. She promptly responded, "Dylan's turn." We folded our arms and I started as usual, by saying, "Our dear Heavenly Father." Dylan, as usual repeated the words. I hesitated for a moment, and Dylan continued on without me. She remembered all the things and people we pray for each night (except mommy) all by herself, with only a buzz word from me when she got stuck. She took two buzz words to get through the prayer.

I was so proud of her. My two year old little girl just said her first prayer all by herself. Todd was so excited for her and scooped her up into a big bear hug and told her she was a big girl and was so smart. I couldn't believe it. Dylan was praying all by herself.

Just to prove it wasn't a fluke, Dylan decided it was her turn again last night. I mentioned yesterday I was hoping to use the camera to catch the prayer but my battery had died, so tonight I was ready. And so was Todd.

Once again, it was "Dylan's turn" to pray. Todd grabbed the camera and actually took an audio recording of Dylan saying her prayer. I think we had to use a few more buzz words, but you'll get the idea. Some of you may be bothered by the fact that we recorded her prayer, or took pictures of her praying, but my goodness, how can you not capture something so pure, perfect and innocent if you have the chance?

Here is a picture of Dylan saying her prayer, and a video that Todd put together.


2 comments:

Shanen said...

That is precious. What a fun thing to have recorded. I can't believe how much she is talking.

Deanna said...

What a sweetie saying that prayer! You've inspired me to do the same and catch Sam as he says his bedtime prayer.