Friday, July 20, 2007

Razor Sharp

Those are the words I would use to describe my children's teeth. And how would I know, you may ask? I felt them. ALL of them.

Yup, yesterday I was not bit once, not twice, not even three times. I was bit four different times by my precious children. Now, I love my children dearly, but come on, why do you have to bite your mother? I'm the one that feeds you, plays with you, stays home with you all day long. I'm the one that sings to you at night, changes most of your diapers and just keeps you occupied and happy throughout the days. Why must you bite?

I, I can understand. He's just getting his teeth, so he's figuring out what they're all about. My gosh, he only has two. But boy can they cause some damage when I'm feeding him. I can now honestly say I'm glad I couldn't nurse D past the four-month mark. I was done nursing before she even had teeth. I'm thinking I've done my time with I at eight months old. It's about time I cut myself loose. Who knew that two little teeth could cause so much pain?!

As for D, I knew it was bound to happen. This is my 22 month old daughter who bites anything nearby when she's upset. Always has. As soon as she's frustrated she is biting her toys, the table or even her own hands. I was always so sure that she would never bite us. Wrong! I can't even tell you what happened yesterday to make her so upset, but she was on my lap and I apparently did something to set her off because the next thing I know, she's bent her head and bit into my hand. Talk about being stunned.

Anyone ever have similar problems? How do I address this? Should I assume since it happened once it's bound to happen again? Do I now worry about D playing with her brother? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

As it is, I'm just trying to remember that D was just displaying anger and frustration the only way she could. Is that a good approach?

After all, today's expression of anger was ripping at her hair.

3 comments:

Shanen said...

Ohhh not much advice on that, but I'm sure a little liquid soap on the tongue wouldn't hurt. (At least not as bad as being bit.) I would definitely watch her around Isaac though.

Anonymous said...

My Mom tells me that when I was a toddler I bit my younger sister exactly ONE time. The way my wise mother handled it is by biting me back! I'm sure it was just a little nip on the hand but it apparently worked because I never bit again. I think kids just have no idea how much pain they can inflict with those little jaws and teeth.

Jamie C. said...

OUCH! Not fun! The first time Gabriella was spanked was when she bit Joe, I can't remember how old she was. She just sobbed! A few minutes later she did it again, followed by a spank and more sobbing. She did it again, not much later, and it was my turn to do the spanking (Joe felt too bad) and she sobbed, sobbed, sobbed, and never bit again! Third times a charm I guess. Good luck!