Friday, July 27, 2007

One of my favorite days of the week...

It's easy to understand why most people's favorite day of the week falls on the weekend. No school, work or most other responsibilities. It's typically a time to relax and get ready for another week of To Do's. I love the weekends because T is home from work and we can do things as a family; whether it's chores, running errands, sitting home doing nothing, or the occasional weekend getaway. (Granted, that happened more frequently before we added two kids to our family.) I can even say I love weekends more because T has a three-day weekend every weekend. How great is that? For me, that means an extra day of having someone else help out with the kids so I can grocery shop or run a few errands by myself.

But, I've forgotten how much I enjoy one other day of the week. Thursdays! Yup, Thursdays. I used to hate them. When I was working, Thursday was like a big tease. Close to the end of the week, meaning it's about to be the weekend, but far enough away to know you still had another day of work to get through.

Now, as a SAHM, I love Thursdays. I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of family live nearby. Both my own family, and T's. I love that. In almost two years, we've never had to ask someone outside of family to watch the kids, which is nice because we can leave them knowing they're well taken care of by people who love them.

But an added bonus is T's mom. She has quite a few grandchildren living in the Valley and wants to see them regularly. Last year when I was pregnant with I, Diana offered those of us with kids not yet in school a free afternoon of babysitting each week. I must say, I'm almost sorry I didn't take advantage of it then and there. But, since D was only about 6 months old when I got pregnant, I wasn't ready to give up any time with her. Not even one afternoon a week. I already felt like she wasn't going to get the attention and love that she deserved because we'd be adding a newborn into our family again so quickly. I wanted to make sure I spent every minute with her I could making sure she knew how much I loved her.

So, after Ic was born and T finally went back to work, Diana brought up the offer of babysitting again. This time, with a newborn and a 15-month old, I jumped at the offer. We looked at our schedules and made a standing appointment. Diana would come spend four hours or so every Thursday with the kids so I could do whatever I needed to get done. How lucky am I?

This has been happening since roughly the first of the year, but during the summer, there have been a few weeks here and there that Diana has been traveling and I haven't had my Thursdays off. I know I will get flack for saying this, but do you know how long the week is when all of a sudden you don't get that break? I know, I'm only alone with the kids four days a week, what in the world can I complain about. And I promise, I'm not complaining, it was just a major readjustment to not look forward to Thursdays the way I had in the past.

Well, yesterday Diana was back. All week long I was looking forward to my few precious hours of alone time. I must say though, it's very rare for me to spend these hours alone. And that's why they are so precious to me.

I mentioned that I have a lot of family nearby, so oftentimes my Thursdays are spent with my mom. She comes and meets me at the house and we are able to go to lunch and shop or run errands for the afternoon. I have come to cherish these afternoons and the time spent with my mom and I know I have Diana to thank for offering to take the kids each week. So thank you Diana for your generosity, it means so much to me. And it's now no wonder why Thursdays are my favorite!

No comments: