Thursday, April 9, 2009

My Father's Granddaughter

When I was young I was a morning person. And a night owl. Now, I'm only a night owl. Growing up I used to stay up late watching the movie of the week with my mom, and I'd get up early the next morning to spend a quiet morning with my dad.

I remember always trying to creep down the stairs early each morning hoping to sneak up on my dad. Unfortunately, my ankles would crack and pop (and they still do) so he always knew I was coming. No matter how quiet I was, my ankles always gave me away.

I loved these quiet mornings with my dad. It was just him and I. And it never failed, at 5am, there was only one thing on the television. Old westerns. Each morning I would watch an old western with my dad. I grew to enjoy How the West Was Won, Rio Bravo, Red River, High Noon and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

This was my time with my dad. And I loved it. I still enjoy sitting down and watching old westerns, but enjoy it more if my dad happens to be in front of the t.v. with me.

Fast forward to this morning.

As I was getting out of the shower, Isaac was playing in our closet and Dylan was in front of the t.v. I could tell that she wasn't watching Diego like she had been when I got into the shower. I asked her if she accidentally changed the channel and she responded "no mommy, I'm watching the horsies. They're so cute."

To a three year old, everything is "so cute."

I had no idea what it was she was watching, just something about horses. And then I heard it.

That unmistakable voice that I used to hear so often. That voice I would hear while watching so many westerns with my dad. The voice that still reminds me of those mornings.

John Wayne.

Dylan had turned the channel and come across the old John Wayne movie "The Undefeated" and was watching the horses and the cowboys and listening to John Wayne. She sat glued to the television watching the horses and didn't move a muscle.

Until commercial. Once that commercial break came, she was off and running, with her attention drawn elsewhere. But for those few minutes, I was brought back to when I was young and watching these same movies with my dad. I even sat down and finished to movie while the kids played.

I wonder if my dad felt the same way about those early mornings with me, as I did with him.

I sure hope so. And I hope Dylan and I, and Isaac too can create some of these same happy memories.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Just one comment here for the last few posts... Such sweet memories with your dad... Such a funny story about Isaac! Kids's say the darndest things! Sorry your were sick (still a funny story though). You should have called! I could have helped! And finally... Dylan does have great taste in clothes. I know what you mean about the fights. There are so many cute things that I have picked for L that she just refuses to wear because it wasn't her choice. I guess I can learn from her example. Of course, she doesn't always pick the things that I deem acceptable.

Shanen said...

Oh my goodness you have a million posts up. I have been MIA and have missed a ton. Sorry you are sick, hopefully because you are posting, you are feeling at least a little better. The kids Easter outfits are adorable. I like them both. But life just wouldn't be the same if your kids just wore everything you bought for them. See you Saturday.

Bryn said...

Seriously, how do I comment on so many posts all at once!!
This post about dad is so nice!! What's funny is I have those same memories of you. Except it would be during the summer mornings, and I don't remember trying to sneak up on you, but I would always come and lay under a blanket with you(you always had a blanket even in the summer) and you'd be watching Charlie's Angels, CHiPS, or Little House on the Prarie! It's as clear as yesterday!
The Easter outfits I love!! I think the shirt you returned to Children's Place is the same one I have for Dax with a coordinating tie. I hope he doesn't yell, "Nooooo" like Isaac!!
Feel better soon!!

Jamie C. said...

Bryn's right about you watching tv early in the mnorning. I even remember when joe was gone that one summer and i stayted at mom and dads you were always up early watching Buffy. i love that dylan liked the westerns. ANd she's right, horsies are so cute!