Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Mom, I'm So Embarrassed For You

This is what Dylan tells me. Often.

She's embarrassed for me. What she really means is, "mom, you're embarrassing me" or "mom, I'm so embarrassed."

Just what I want to hear from my three year old.

Add to that, it's always about clothes. Always. She's embarrassed about the clothes I bring home for her to wear. Cute clothes too! Really cute clothes.

I wrote awhile back about Dylan and her sundress habit. I think at the time she had something like 20 dresses. And she'd only wear dresses. Apparently, she still has this yen for all things sundress-y, but she wants to pick them out.

For her birthday my mom bought her the cutest dress from Janie and Jack. Unfortunately, I can't find a picture of the dress to show you just how cute it is. But it's adorable. The first time I tried to get Dylan to wear it to church, "she was so embarrassed for me." But, she wore it, and she was cute in it. She's even worn it twice since then.

Most recently, I showed her the Easter dress my mom and I picked out for her.

This one here:


It's so cute and the picture just doesn't do it justice. As I was showing it to Dylan and having her try it on, she informed me once again that, "she was so embarrassed for me" and she wouldn't wear it on Sunday to church or to Easter Brunch.

I then showed her the cute bows to wear in her hair and how well she would match with Isaac's cute outfit. Which, by the way she said "it's soooo cute."

Anyone care to guess what happened when she showed Isaac his outfit? This outfit here:




Dylan showed this sweet outfit to Isaac, the outfit that perfectly coordinated with Dylan's adorable white eyelet dress and green bows for her hair, and she asked Isaac if he liked it.

To top off my morning, he swats at the clothes and yells "no!"

Of course.

So, I called my sister, and off we went to Kohl's. I figure I'm bound to find something there that Dylan will like (because she will choose from two or three dresses that I approve of) and we'll get something for Isaac too.

Many of you might wonder why I just don't force Dylan to wear the original outfit. I figure there are a couple of reasons. First, it's just not worth it. I've learned to pick my battles with her, and clothes is not a battle I'm ready to fight yet. I figure I have years and years of clothing arguments, I refuse to start them now. Second, it's really not a big deal to make the change. If she can pick it out, then she'll wear it. If Kohl's didn't have anything, then it might be different, but they did, so she is happy. Third, I ended up spending about $15 less then I did on the original outfits plus a white sweater for Dylan, and I still hadn't found pants for Isaac yet. I figure that was worth it right there.

So here are the outfits our kids will NOW be wearing on Easter Sunday. Chosen by Dylan.





So if you come across my kids on Easter Sunday, make sure to tell Dylan just how much you love her dress and Isaac's outfit. I think she did a pretty good job too. And at least she can no longer say she's embarrassed for me.

2 comments:

DEANNA said...

THOSE OUTFITS ARE ABSOLUTELY SWEET!

I LOVE THE POLKA DOTS ON THE DRESS AND THE LITTLE SWEATER MATCHES THE DRESS PERFECTLY!

GOOD FOR YOU PICKING YOUR BATTLES. I LIKE TO THINK I AM TRYING TO DO THE SAME THING BUT SINCE THEY WEAR QUASI-UNIFORMS... NO BATTLES THERE SO WHEN BINKY WANTS TO LIVE IN HER SWIMSUIT ALL WEEKEND LONG... EVEN WHEN GOING TO THE STORE I JUST FIGURE THAT IS LESS WASHING I WILL NEED TO DO!!

HAPPY EASTER TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!

Jamie C. said...

I love the orange! I saw that fabric Dylans dress is made out of at the fabric store yesterday! So pretty!