(Todd here giving Nicole some time to nap)
The other day while driving home from work I was listening to talk radio. During the "money minute" they had a financial adviser who presented the idea that American's are tank toppers when it comes to times of shortage. He referred to a time when there was a shortage of gas in America and everyone kept their tanks at 100% fearing there would be no gas the next day. This even meant stopping by the gas station after every trip to top off. This of course led to more of the shortage.
The adviser referred to people's habits for stocking up on food as well. He estimated that each family probably had enough food in their pantries that they would be able to skip a week's worth of shopping every 4 months. Thus the savings would equate directly to saving a whole week's worth of groceries (if not more). Now there is some fallacy with this logic (you wouldn't have so much stored up if you used the extra more often) but the suggestion gave me the idea to check our pantry and see if we "overstocked". I actually didn't even get to the pantry. I stopped after the freezer:
Castle Wood Oven Roasted Turkey 1lb 6oz
Homemade strawberry jam 2.5cups
Tillamoon sliced cheese 1 pound
Cooked ham chunks 2 cups
Microwave Taquitos 30 left out of 60
Bean & Cheese Burritos 6 out of 10
Bean & Beef Burritos 4 out of 10
Mixed Vegetables 1/2 pound
Pie Crusts x2
Pizza Rolls (mini treats) 2 partial 2 pound bags (both open)
Fruit Pastries x4
1/2 of a full sized cooked turkey separated in various portions
Apple Concentrates x4
Boneless Beef Chuck Shoulder Roast 1.9lb
Ground hamburger in 1 pound bags x7
Strawberry pie filling 1 pound bags x2
Sliced ham x6
Tater Puffs opened bag (I got tired of looking for sizes)
4 Cheese Ravioli opened bag
Half Breast Whole Ribs Chicken .88 pound
Pork Center Cut Loin 4.5 pounds
Boneless Bottom Roast 2.29 pounds
Pork Loin Top Loin Roast Boneless 2.04 pounds
Young Chicken 3.35 pounds
Meatballs 5 pounds (partially used)
Half Breasts 2.96 pounds
Maple Thick sliced bacon 3.o pounds
Chicken Thighs 4.14 pounds
Mixed Vegetables 2 pounds
Sweet Corn 1 pound
Whole Kernel Corn 5 pounds
Chocolate Chips 1 bag
Mixed Vegetables 2 pounds (half gone)
4 sticks butter
Ricotta Cheese 2 pounds
Cooked Shrimp 1 pound
Add the pantry, refrigerator and chest freezer in the garage(!!!) and I think we are candidates for the quarter year plan.
2 comments:
Whoa, that's a big freezer! I love that you had two bags of pizza rolls opened. We, at all times, have two bags of the same chicken nuggets opened. Why? I don't know, but two always seem to be opened. Very funny!
Ok, I simply have to laugh at this.
Until we moved out here to Gilbert I would never ever shop and buy in bulk like I do now.
Once I started talking with Shanen and our other neighbor Trish I started wondering if your church teaches you guys something or you know something we do not and that is why you do the whol canning and prepare for the worst thing.
Needless to say, I have learned about coupons and not paying for food and now we have 400 boxes of granola bars, 60 boxes of breakfast cereal..... etc. just because I think that something is going to happen and I gotta have all this food for doomsday!!!
I have to say though... it all sure comes in handy when I seriously do not feel like grocery shopping and I mix and match and try to drain the reserve just to re-fill it!!
Lucky you Nicole... getting a nap and your hubby does posts!!!!
Post a Comment