Sunday, March 29, 2009

Oh No!

A few days ago my friend Alli tagged me with a challenge to post an "Oh No" moment. Having two kids means I know I have a ton of them. As I thought of which one to post, I couldn't help but laugh and remember our first "oh no" moment as new parents (and by "our" I mean Todd).

When Dylan was born we were lucky enough that Todd was able to take some time off to be home with us. Not just a few days, or the rest of the week, but some serious time off. So much time in fact, that I went back to work before he did! We were so lucky that he had that much time built up before he met me that he had plenty of time to take 12 weeks off. On top of that, he stayed home two days a week after he started again to stay home as a part time dad. How many dads can say that?

Since he had all this time off as well, we had a pretty good schedule going when it came to late night feedings. I am usually a night owl so staying up until midnight isn't a big deal. But get into the early morning hours and I'm worthless. Todd on the other hand could work through the night (and had) so being up at 3am was no big deal. Because of this, he could sleep at any time day or night without problems. So, I would stay up with Dylan and keep her awake, feed her one last time at 11:30 and hand her off to Todd. He'd rock her and change her and get her ready for bed and deal with getting her to sleep, while I slid into bed for a solid nights sleep. Todd would sleep on the couch or work on the computer while Dylan either slept or grunted and fussed. When her next feeding time came, he'd bring her to me, I'd feed her, and he'd take her again so I was only awake for as few minutes as possible. It worked out perfectly and I loved it!

One night when Dylan was only about 3 weeks old, Todd took her to get her changed and ready for bed. He called out to me before I fell asleep to come help him. Apparently as he was burping Dylan, she let out a little bit more then some air...


I couldn't help but leave him there to get the camera and snap some photos.

Our first "oh no" moment as new parents. And as many of you know, this particular moment was the first of many.

I tag anyone that would love to share their own "oh no" moments. I know you all have them! Let me know so I can come see too.

4 comments:

-Bailey said...

Flashbacks. Not cool!

Alli grins said...

I LOVE this post! Love the picture and even more, I love that you shared your memories of your first few weeks of parenthood and of your husband as a father. I'm sure Dylan would be interested/ mortified to see what she was responsible for! I think being spit up on, pooped on or peed on is part of the initiation into parenthood. Welcome, Todd!

Jamie C. said...

I forgot how good you had it when Dylan was born! Lucky for all of you to have Todd around! Gabs shared OH NO's with us for 9 months before she stopped. Luckily we seemed to havepaid our dues with her and haven't had another big spitter upper since! Love the picture!

Bryn said...

Yes, we like to call that fun little sight on our shirts the mommy tattoo....in Todd's case, the daddy tattoo.. Looks good!