Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Twice in One Month!

I haven't posted many items here but Nicole has had a long two weeks trying to get Dylan to swim so I thought I'd give her a little break. A funny thing happened on the way home from swim lessons today and I thought it would make a good little story to share.

One of my favorite times of each month coincides with the arrival of a local magazine known as "G" or maybe "Gilbert." Honestly I haven't looked too closely in the past to determine the name of the magazine but it is published locally and details stories about our town.

Now I should step back in the story here for those of you that don't know Nicole very well. When we first met Nicole was working at a company named "Business Wire" where she among other things helped proof read news clippings and press releases. It drives Nicole nuts to see professionally published articles that contain spelling or grammatical errors. While we were dating I used to proof read my emails to Nicole several times but if I would have known how much she hates errors I would have been too scared to ever send them in the first place.

Back to the main story...the "G" magazine shows up each month and without fail Nicole finds 4-5 errors. Sometimes she doesn't even make it past the first few pages. Quite often I've thought of writing down the errors Nicole finds and sending them to the publisher asking if Nicole can get a part time work from home job as a proof reader.

Well today on our way home we stopped to get the mail and found a letter from the "Building Basics Preschool." Nicole signed Dylan up for preschool lessons later this summer and they were sending a welcome letter. Now remember the welcome letter is coming from the people who are supposed to teach our child. It is a little long but I'll copy the message here for you.

July 29th 6:30-7:30 pm come meet your teacher Miss Sarah as well as your classmates. Back to School Night gives your preschooler a wonderful opportunity to feel comfortable with preschool before the fist day of school, as well as make a few new friends and the whole family is welcome to come.

Just a reminder school starts August 4th from 9-11. Just a reminder all children MUST be potty trained (no pull-ups).

Often time's parents ask me what they can be working on prior to school starting; the number one thing is helping your child write his / her name correctly. Capital Letters are so much easier to teach and write, so often times that is how children learn their names. This habi is very difficult to correct that is why I am taking the time to send home the correct way to write your child's name in addition to some practice sheets. If your child is using Capital Letters for his/her name, please help me break the habit now, this will make the first month of preschool so much easier. Thank you for taking the time to work with your child on this, it will help greatly.

I do have two openings in my 4 year old class, please pass my info along if you know of anyone still looking for preschool. Also, if for any reason you have had a change of plans for the fall and are no longer planning on attending preschool with me, please let me know ASAP so I can contact the children on my weighting list.

I am looking forward to seeing all of you at our Back to School Night, if you are unable to make it please give me a call.

Thank you,

Miss Sarah

Not a good start or a good ending. The fist day of school? Contact on my weighting list. Nicole finished the letter and proceeded to walk around the house for the next 5-10 minutes discussing the difference of weighting verses waiting and fist verses first. You may have had to be here to enjoy it as much as I did but it was a good time watching and listening to Nicole rip on the letter.

And to think...I still have the Gilbert magazine to look forward to this month!

2 comments:

Diana Dwyer said...

Poor Todd - you went from a mother who has a mental red pen always handy as she reads, to a wife with the same "problem"? I commiserate with Nicole, and also I need to go over comma usage with you! No, really you write very well Todd and always have.

The Curtis Family said...

Nicole you KNOW I'm up there with you on the editing thing. It's really sad when the Republic is starting to be just as bad, right? I read an article just today in Go Gilbert (is this the same magazine Todd's talking about?) about how a woman started her career with NightRider in San Francisco. Seriously? What real journalist doesn't know it's KnightRidder??? I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

I'm also with you on the no-blogging-just-to-blog thing...