That's how I would describe swim lessons today. Dylan was a nightmare and we ended up getting out of the pool before her lesson was over. I am having a hard time even writing about it because it just frustrates me to think about how her lesson went.
Grandma D came to the pool with us today and Dylan was so excited about getting in the water. She waited right by the edge of the pool and looked for her teacher because she isn't allowed to get into the water until her teacher is there. Once she saw her teacher she kicked off her shoes and waded into the water where her class meets. She chose her toy and wanted to play with it independantly. She is still at the "I can do it myself" stage and likes to bounce around in the water after her toy with no help from me. Forget the idea that the goal is to practice using her arms to reach for the toy or for me to hold her in the water so she can practice her kicking. She wants nothing to do with that. She just wants to bounce along in the water to get her toy.
Grandma D came to the pool with us today and Dylan was so excited about getting in the water. She waited right by the edge of the pool and looked for her teacher because she isn't allowed to get into the water until her teacher is there. Once she saw her teacher she kicked off her shoes and waded into the water where her class meets. She chose her toy and wanted to play with it independantly. She is still at the "I can do it myself" stage and likes to bounce around in the water after her toy with no help from me. Forget the idea that the goal is to practice using her arms to reach for the toy or for me to hold her in the water so she can practice her kicking. She wants nothing to do with that. She just wants to bounce along in the water to get her toy.
Then we went to the wall. Same story as before. Tears, whining, screams. Nothing's changed. Except she smiles after I've pulled her into the water. She even stood up and held my hands as I pulled her in. Not too bad.
Typically, when this portion of class is over, Dylan goes back to having fun. She'll play and do what the teacher asks. Today was not a typical day. Dylan wanted nothing to do with class participation. She wanted to play with her toy, and when I wouldn't let her do that, I got more tears and she started crying harder for Grandma D. It got so bad that even the threat (and execution) of dunking her under water wasn't getting her to calm down. Finally, with about 5 minutes left in class I called it a day and I made her get out. I was done fighting with her for no apparent reason and told her either stop crying to finish class or we're going to get out. She opted to get out.
What's a mom to do?
Isaac? He was happy as a clam. He was climbing out of the pool and jumping with abandon. He was kicking all over the place and dunking his head and face in the water. Smiles and laughs were constant. Again, a total reversal of my first half hour with Dylan.
What's a mom to do?
Isaac? He was happy as a clam. He was climbing out of the pool and jumping with abandon. He was kicking all over the place and dunking his head and face in the water. Smiles and laughs were constant. Again, a total reversal of my first half hour with Dylan.
Now if only I could get him to stop drinking the water and blow bubbles instead.
2 comments:
I am so sorry, what a stinker. But good for you to not let her do what she wanted just to get her to stop crying. Isaac looks like he is having the time of his life.
I can only imagine how frustrating that is! I'm so sorry! Remember that she's still young though. She'll stop crying one day...I hope it's soon for your case!
p.s. If you figure out a way to get Isaac to stop drinking the water, let me know. Gwen likes to lick it like she's a dog drinking from a bowl! So funny!
Post a Comment