Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dad, Dada, Daddy, Todd


No matter what they call him (and it's usually all four of the above), our kids adore him.

How lucky they are to have their dad.

Each morning, Dylan's first question is, "where's daddy?" I usually answer with, "he's at work." Occasionally I get an "Ohhhh," from Dylan but there are days when she just doesn't accept that answer. She'll tell me he's in bed sleeping still and insist that she's right. She creeps down the hall to see him, and as soon as she notices the empty bed, she gets so sad. On the days that I actually get to tell her that he's in bed, she runs straight to the bedroom, climbs on the bed and starts chattering away to him, giving him kisses and tickling his back.

Each afternoon when Todd gets home and the kids hear that garage door open, they both run to the gate at the bottom of the stairs and start calling for him. Both are so excited to see him and know that he's home to play with them. Isaac yells "dada, dada" over and over again while running until Todd gets downstairs. Their faces show pure joy.

Both love to climb on daddy, do what daddy is doing and just be near him. Dylan loves to play T-Rex Game with daddy, and lately Isaac has tried to join in on the fun. As soon as Todd's downstairs, Dylan has T-Rex in her hand and is ready to play. He doesn't get a break after work, and even though he'd like one, he grabs T-Rex and the game is on. Giggles and squeals of delight follow.

Todd is the most capable and loving dad I know. I never have to worry about leaving him alone with the kids for a few hours or a few days. I know he can handle it...and I know he handles it better than I do.

One of my favorite memories is knowing that Dylan was three days old before I even changed her diaper. And he took eight weeks off to spend with her (and nine with Isaac). Todd dove right in to his daddy role without hesitation or fear. He just took over and hasn't looked back. I love him for that.

Happy Father's Day, Todd, Dad, Daddy and Dadda. You're a great one! We love you!

4 comments:

Jamie C. said...

three days and no diapers? how'd you survive the hospital without changing any diapers? lucky lady! that was such a cute post. what a great dad you have for your kids. lucky kids!
happy father's day to you todd.

Bryn said...

What CUTE pictures! I love them! I love that Dylan plays T-Rex with Todd. You'll have to teach us that one! I hope you guys had a great day.

Shanen said...

That was a nice post Nicole. Your kids are lucky. I hope you guys had a great day. Yea about Dylans room also. I'll need to talk to you soon to see what you decided.

Shanen said...

Hey Nic, I just "tagged" you. See my blog. Sorry