If you know me at all, you know I'm not a water person. I don't really like going to the beach, but I love the smell of the salt air, the sound of the waves crashing to the floor, and there's nothing I like more than an evening at the beach in front of the fire pit, under the stars. But I don't like to lay on the beach, play in the sand, get in the water or anything else about it. Sand bothers me. I'm scared of the waves and don't even get me started on the sun. To be honest, I'm surprised my nose hasn't fallen off yet with all the years of massive sunburns. My nickname was Rudolph because of my red nose. And when it wasn't red, it was peeling and scabbing over. And you know how attractive that is!
But it's not just the beach. It's the pool too. We grew up with a pool. I'd swim, but usually during the late afternoon or at night. The sun is just not my friend. Even now I can't be in the sun for more than a half hour without walking away with some serious burns.
And Todd is the same way. So by usuing my deductive reasoning, I figure our kids aren't going to be blessed with bronzed skin. They'll need to use the Baby Sun Block SPF50 for the rest of their lives. Just like their momma.
And unfortunately, because of my distaste for the sun and all water outdoors, my kids are bound to suffer for it. But I'm going to do my darndest to prevent that.
Todd and I take the kids to Oceanside each year to play at the beach (granted, we go in September so the sun isn't too bad) and I've even taken my kids in the pool. Once or twice. But this summer is going to be different. And it's already started.
Last week Bryn invited us over for a water day at her house. I hemmed and hawed all day long trying to decide if I would take the kids, but in the end decided they needed the fun. So we loaded up in the car and headed for the water. Luckily it was later in the afternoon so I didn't even bother putting sun screen on the kids. I know, bad mom. They can still get burnt even if it's 4pm. But, guess what, they didn't!
When we got to the house there was a slip n slide in the back yard, a tiny blow up pool and a fun sprinkler ring. Dax was in his suit, and Shanen and her three kids were just arriving also. We made it to the backyard and the fun began.
Or at least it was supposed to.
Isaac went straight to the playhouse. And pretty much stayed there all afternoon. (Good boy! Stay out of the sun! He's a kid after my own heart.)
Dylan didn't know what to think. She would start walking toward the slip n slide as she watched the kids, and just as she got close, she'd laugh and back away from it. She finally ended up in the pool and had quite a bit of fun sitting there. Then Dax and Kruz joined her and she wasn't too thrilled with the splashing. At first. Then I told her to kick and splash too and it was all good.
Eventually she made it to the slip n slide, but it was so funny to watch her. She walked up to it, walked onto the long slide, and sloooowly laid down on her stomach. There was no running and sliding for the girl. Just a simple walk, crawl and lay. Too funny. If you look at the pictures it looks like she handled the slide just write...it was just in slo-mo. But you'd never guess it from the pictures, would you?
All in all, I think the kids will need some outdoor water toys of their own. A pool and a sprinkler toy might be just what the dr. ordered. For me and the kids.
But not to worry, I have plenty of SPF50 in stock!

3 comments:
Happy to help Dylan have fun with the water. But I can't promise that Dax won't always try and splash her!
Only us that were there know exactly h o w s l o w she was really going. =) But hey...she did get wet. That is a plus.
Nic, I saw these pictures a few nights agao, but tonight was the first chance I had to sit down and read your post. I LOVED it. I thought the pictures were adorable, but the writing was so funny! Isaac is hysterical in his house, and Dylan is a crack up. I love her just laying there in the middle of the slip and slide! So so cute!
Post a Comment