As we walked into the bathroom Dylan wanted to sit on the big toilet, not her little toilet trainer. I have tried this with her before and she always got scared that she would fall in. Who can blame her? That toilet would swallow her. As we got her diaper off I realized that the top of her little toilet would sit right on top of the big toilet. It's only taken me months to realize this. But Dylan hopped on, sat there for a minute, then decided she was done. Typical.
The next morning the same thing happened. Dylan frantically needed to go potty, she sat on the toilet and suddenly asked, "Did you hear it?" I of course didn't, but couldn't say for sure if she went or not because the shower was running.
We sat on the toilet many times a day from then on, but nothing happened. Until today. After dinner Todd and I decided we would go get some ice cream. As I was getting ready to go, Dylan told Todd she needed to go potty again. Todd rushed her to the bathroom and then I heard Todd cheering. Apparently, Dylan got the hang of what was supposed to happen on the potty, and she finally went "tinkle." (By the way, that's probably not my favorite choice of words to use, but last week that was what Grandma D called it and it has stuck with Dylan. In my opinion, that's the word she knows, that's the word we'll use. AND, we'll find a more masculine choice when it's time for Isaac to start toilet training.)
After Dylan went potty, and the cheering subsided we decided it was time for ice cream, and Dylan needed her own ice cream treat. She chose a strawberry milk shake (and ended up with a chocolate one) and loved every bite of it. We continued to tell her that she got this special treat because she went tinkle on the big girl potty and continued with the positive reinforcement. We even stopped by Grandma and Grandpa's afterward so she could tell them her big news. We stayed and played for awhile, then headed home to put the kids to bed.
As we were getting out of the car I sent Dylan straight to the bathroom so we could go potty again before getting her pajamas on. As she sat on the toilet she told me she was done and wanted to get off and get changed, I had her sit there for a few more minutes and what do you know? Again! She went tinkle again! Twice, in a row, with a dry diaper in between.
I think this might be the start of something. Let's hope so.
We have to be ready for preschool in August.
Dylan on her little potty
(we don't have any pictures on the toilet)

2 comments:
wow. way to go dylan. i've heard it's easy to potty train when the child is ready. gabs was a piece of cake and it sounds like dylan is ready. i hope for continued toilet success for you!...i mean dylan!
Now that is really something to celebrate! I second that fact that it's easy to potty train when they are ready. You are such a cute Mommy! Hang in there...Having only one in diapers will be nice:-)
Post a Comment