Monday, April 28, 2008

Ribbons

Dylan finally got a haircut. To be honest, it's been a long time coming. She's needed her hair to be trimmed and shaped for quite some time. I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I was afraid she would freak out in the chair. I was afraid she would no longer have the cute little flippy curls in the back of her head. I was afraid she'd jerk in her seat and they'd have to cut it all off. And, I was afraid it wouldn't fit into a ponytail anymore. Because, let's be honest, she only lets me finger-comb her hair into a ponytail. No cute little piggy tails for this girl.

But, all of my fears were silly. She sat perfectly still and didn't jerk around, she still has some little flips in the back and she jumped right into her seat. Unfortunately, the ponytail is out of the question for awhile, but that's okay too. I'll explain why in a minute.

We took Dylan to the local "childrens" hair salon. I couldn't believe the cost for a childs haircut, but thankfully my sister sent me a coupon to help out a little bit. Thanks Bryn! We had been talking to Dylan all morning about getting her hair cut so when we walked in, she knew why we were there and what was going to happen. I was still nervous about a freak out because I know that a lot of kids have a hard time getting their hair cut, especially the first time. The girl that cut Dylan's hair was great. She helped Dylan climb into her chair, asked her if she wanted to watch a cartoon and talked to her a lot. That relaxed Dylan immediately. I got a little nervous when it was time for the apron, but Dylan looked at Todd with that deer in the headlights look, and he reassured her that it was okay. After that, she was fine. She sat so still and watched her cartoon. She didn't move at all, until a little boy started to get his hair cut in the chair across from her...and he got to play video games.

Now, the reason I don't worry so much about the ponytail?? The stylist put a pretty pink ribbon in her hair. And Dylan has worn it almost every day since. Finally she is letting us do something to her hair. We get to brush it and put a ribbon in it without a single fight. It's fantastic. I think I'll have to find more ribbons for her hair now that I know she likes them.

Here are a few pictures of Dylan's first haircut as well as the final outcome. I wonder how long it will be before her next haircut...

4 comments:

Bryn said...

So cute!! I loved seeing her hair with that cute ribbon...such a little/grown up girl! :) And I still think she looks like Dee Dee, and that's a compliment! The cutest bob I've seen in so long!

MomSmoo said...

That is adorable! Do you think she would allow a headband now too?

And yes, the kids places are way more expensive, but remember my freak out about having to shave L's head?? Sometimes it is worth it so you don't stress.

Shanen said...

She looks adorable. I love that soft pink bow in her hair. She is looking so grown up.

Jamie C. said...

That is adorable! I wonder if Gwen will keep a boy tied like that in her hair. She still has the baby mullet and I can't put just the top into a rubberband, but sometimes I just don't feel like putting in pig tails. Maybe if I tell her that Dylan wears it, she'll allow it!