Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Pet Peeve

When I decided to write each day this month I asked for suggestions for topics. Only one person was kind enough to give me options. Luckily, one of the ideas struck a cord with me, especially recently. Please forgive my minor rant.

I'm tired of blogs. Not tired of writing this one, but tired of reading them. About 80% of the blogs I read seem so fake. And trust me, I read a lot of blogs. I read family blogs, and blogs of friends, scrapbooking blogs and blogs I come across just by following links. But to me, 80% seem just unreal.

I like things to be real. I like knowing the truth. Why wouldn't I? I like reading that I'm not the only one with frustrations with my kids. I like people I can identify with. I like it when people keep it real. I'm not finding that with the blogs I'm reading. The stories about kids are all about how cute they are and what was so adorable about them that day. They have perfect pictures showing smiles and laughs with perfect backgrounds. They talk about how wonderful life is and how lucky they are.

Is that real? I don't doubt that people are happy and their kids make them happy and their children are cute. But I do question whether that's what their life is like day in and day out. Unfortunately, I will never know. I only read about the perfection. Never the trials or the rough days. Why is that? It doesn't make a mom or a family any less happy if they have rough times. It makes them more identifiable, more real, and more human. I need that. I need to know that there are people out there with real everyday problems, real trials with their kids and that their life isn't perfect.

So, here's what I'm asking for. I doubt that the blogs I read will change, but I'm asking for someone to direct me somewhere so I can read more blogs that I can identify with. I don't mind reading about the happy go lucky families that claim their lives are perfect, but I need the "real" stuff more. So, suggestions??

Thanks for listening. I promise tomorrow I'll write about how perfect my kids are. HA!

2 comments:

MomSmoo said...

Well -- I know my blog is in the 20% and you have links to my favorites -- who are pretty much "real", but the best place for you to start is here...

cafemom.com -- there is this group -- http://www.cafemom.com/group/16643 -- of mom's who specifically are of the "real" variety, not the everything is rainbows and unicorns (remind me to tell you why I use THAT phrase!)

I also just came across this one yesterday -- and while there is a fair amount of swearing that you may not like, I found myself nodding my head, LOL and tears streaming down my face. Now I must add to to my list...
http://boobsinjuriesanddrpepper.blogspot.com/

Jamie C. said...

I'm glad there was one suggestion you liked...but I didn't expect the pet peeve to be directed at me... I imagine you are sticking me in the 80% of not real, right? :) Now, I know why I don't get comments, I was beginning to take it personal. At least there was an e-mail, hopefully you will still read our blog to know what we're up to. I'll try to work my way over to the 20%! :) But it probably won't be until after Christmas, there's too much exciting things before then!