Monday, August 4, 2008

Building Basics

At 8am today Dylan walked down the hall into my room and climbed into bed with me. We talked for a few minutes, and then I reminded her about today.

Today was the day she was going to start preschool. As soon as I reminded her, she asked if she was going to see Miss Sarah (her teacher) and get to go to her house and color and play with her friends. After spending an hour with a few kids in her class last week at "Back to School Night" they were already her friends. I love how kids have and make "friends" so easily.

We woke Isaac up, got dressed and went to the kitchen for breakfast. I put Dylans hair in pig tails, got her shoes on and gave her her brand new backpack. We also had a couple of homework assignments that were due the first day of school.

Since Todd is out of town, I thought it would be fun for he and Dylan to work on those together. Dylan had to decorate a piece of construction paper all about her. They added a family picture, a picture of just her, a picture of Michael and wrote a few of her favorite things down. Dylan then colored on the paper. I snapped a couple shots of the two of them working on this project so we know that even though Todd wasn't here, he was still a part of Dylan's first day of school.

Right before we left the house, I took a couple of pictures in her new school dress with her backpack so we would always remember this fun day.

We walked into Miss Sarah's house and Dylan wanted to play with the kids that were already there. I told her to go ask if she could play, and of course, wouldn't you know it, the little girl said no. Dylan came back to me and said, "She said no, mommy." I told her that was okay and to get out the blocks and maybe someone will want to come play with her. She ran off to get the blocks and immediately another little girl came over and they started to play together. Dylan barely even glanced at me when I said goodbye. It was then that I knew I really had nothing to worry about.

Isaac and I spent the morning grocery shopping (Isaac had his first doughnut) and taking care of the neighbors pets. Then hopped back in the car to pick Dylan up.

As she came out of class she looked so grown up wearing her backpack, but she was still my little girl that came running when she saw me. Her teacher handed me her first craft project because it was still a little wet. Of course, we had to take another picture so dad could see what Dylan did on her first day of school. So here is her apple tree in red, yellow and green. Dylan cut the tree out all by herself and apple halves were dipped in paint to create the design. Note the streak of red paint across her forehead in the last picture. Totally makes me laugh.

I asked Dylan if she wanted to go back to Miss Sarah's and go to school again and she quickly asked if she could go tomorrow. Unfortunately I had to tell her no, not tomorrow, but she can go again next Monday.

I think she's going to like school.

1 comment:

Jamie C. said...

Way to go on cutting! We haven't mastered that one yet...we need some lefty scissors. I love the backpack!