Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Best Laid Plans...

or alternative titles:

"The Total Disaster"

or

"The Potato Sack"

or

"The 54 Cent Dress"

Any of these titles would work.

So I'm still working on this sewing thing. I think I've got straight lines down. Luckily, most of the projects I've picked out so far have only required straight lines.

I found the cutest tutorial for making a bandana dress. It looked cute enough. And it sure was simple enough. But I think it all went wrong.
The execution of the project was great, the turnout, anything but.

I was at JoAnns on Thursday and was looking for a few items I needed. I also made a quick walk down the clearance aisle. I found these cute, plain turquoise bandanas for 27 cents apiece. I thought this was going to be a cheap way to try this tutorial out. And if it didn't work, no harm, no foul, and no real money lost.

I bought the bandanas and a fun iron-on decal to add some pizazz to the dress. I also knew I had some really cute ribbon at home that would be a perfect match.

I got home and got right to work. It really was a simple project. It was done in minutes. I tried it on Dylan, and it was a disaster. She looked frumpy. Todd asked what went wrong. And I promise, nothing did. Our daughter is just so tiny that as I gathered the front and back of the dress, it forced the rest of the dress to puff out like a tent. I don't think it helped that the bandanas weren't your typical cotten either. There was a fair amount of polyester in them so I'm guessing that didn't help the dress lay flat.

I decided I needed to do some modifying. I took the dress and took it in about two inches on each side. It helped the dress lay a little better, but I still need to modify the gathering at the neckline. Dylan is just too thin through the shoulders to carry it off. If I can't get it to work, no big deal. It was fun to try.

As a side note, I don't think it will matter what I end up doing to it. I just don't think it's a very comfortable dress. I asked Dylan to try it on again so I could take these pictures once I took the sides in and she quickly shook her head no and ran out of the room. You think that says something? If it doesn't, her face in the picture should tell you what she really thought. Don't mind the wrinkles either, I didn't wash the bandanas first. I guess I had already decided it wasn't going to work out before I even started.

2 comments:

DEANNA said...

I THINK IT IS ABSOLUTELY CUTE AND WOULD LOOK VERY CHIC WITH A LITTLE RIBBON BELT AROUND THE WAIST.

BUT IF YOU ALL SAY IT IS NOT AS CUTE AS THE PICTURES I DEFINATELY COULD BE WRONG!

Jamie C. said...

I was totally expecting something horrible! This is NOT horrible! You had me prepared for the worst, and I think it's cute! The color is darling on Dylan and the ribbons look so cute. Maybe you can shorten it and add another fabric along the bottom and call it a shirt. Would she go for that? I've learned that when it comes to clothes I make for Gabs, she's just as picking with them as she is with things at the store. I've leanred not to be offended and include her in the decisions of fabric and trims. Maybe Dylan has a style sense and has some opinions of her own. Either way, looks great to me!