As I sat downstairs knitting while the kids played before bed, I found myself wishing I had the camera in my lap.
Todd turned on a movie in the theater and I could hear the kids climbing and laughing and playing so well together. These giggles are so precious to hear. There have been more days lately where Dylan is showing her dominance (or is it her "terrible twos?") rather than the laughs I love, but tonight was special. They just laughed and played. They chased each other and crawled on each other and squealed with delight.
Then came that moment when all I wanted was the camera. I quickly realized I wouldn't be able to capture this moment on film, and just as quickly wished I had a camcorder. You see, there was music playing in the theater and Dylan loves to dance. Whenever there is a song she comes to me and says, "Dance with me mommy." There are plenty of times when I don't want to get up and dance and want to tell her no, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I can't do it because I know that one day that sweet request will stop. Dylan will no longer want to dance with me. I won't get to hold her and swing her around in circles as she insists on holding my hand as we twirl around the room.
Tonight, I was not the one Dylan wanted to dance with. It was Isaac. She would say, "Isaac dance with me" and Isaac would walk to her laughing, she would grab his hand and she would start to twirl around. She would make about a quarter turn before Isaac would lose his balance and fall (laughing of course) and Dylan would say again, "Isaac get up and dance with me."
How I wish I had a camera. Or a camcorder. It was wonderful to see my two sweet children dancing together. To hear their laughter and see their smiles. To know that even though there are plenty of moments when I'm playing referee, there are, and will be just as many moments (or more) when they will want to dance together, play together and laugh together.
How do you capture that on film?
5 comments:
Aww.. that makes me want to cry. L and R are playing together more and more these days and I know it will soon stop too. Why can't we just freeze them in time?
Seriously one of your best ever posts!! I can picture it perfectly! That is so sweet and so adorable. It says so much about the big sister Dylan is and the happy boy Isaac is. So true not to pass up on those opportunities that they actually want us to play with them! Love it!!
Nic that is so sweet! I love those tender, genuine moments between children. I wish I saw more of them, but then I guess if I did, they wouldn't be as special. Dylan sounds like such a great sister to her little brother!
You will be so glad they are close in age. Dyaln is soo sweet with him, and do you think Isaac is just gonna have the layed back personality?? I love this post. What a fun memory to have of them.
Post a Comment