Saturday, January 19, 2008

Lessons Learned...

Or alternatively titled...Things I Now Know About Sewing

I don't sew. Not at all. But I'm determined to change that. I made this determination as a New Year's Goal. Not a "resolution" just a goal. I think a goal is less pressure and therefore more attainable...hopefully.

Because of my new goal, I've found all sorts of fun crafty sewing projects I'd like to try. But first, I needed to learn how to use my sewing machine. The same sewing machine I bought right after Todd and I were married. This included how to thread it, how to wind the bobbin, and how to find a light touch with the pedal. I learned real fast that just like with my driving, I'm a lead foot!

So this all started a few weeks ago when I decided I needed to practice. I had some material that I bought this summer, with the intentions of making a pillow covering and some tie backs for our basement. The material was expensive and I wasn't willing to use it until I knew I wasn't going to totally waste it on a ruined project. So I used fabric I bought two years ago. Yup. Two years ago. These were small squares of fabric that I sewed together to make a patchwork blanket. It was a lot of starting and stoping, lining things up, and just a lot of sewing in general. The pieces are all done, but I never bought any batting to put inside so it's still not a completed blanket. Maybe some day.

But, I got my practice in. There's nothing like having company come to prompt you into action. So, yesterday during nap time, I decided I was ready to tackle my pillow cover and tie backs. Straight lines only, so it shouldn't be a problem. And honestly, it wasn't. But I did learn a few lessons.

Lessons Learned:
  1. I can sew in a straight line...but I can't cut in one. That's a problem.

  2. It's always good to make sure you have enough thread in the bobbin before you start sewing, otherwise you're going to have to start again in the middle of a straight stitch.

  3. White thread just doesn't cut it for every project.

  4. Cutting material on the floor is not the way to go. A hard, flat surface is necessary.

  5. Slow and steady makes for a prettier stitch.

  6. I can now be more productive during the kids' nap times. I have my days when I can get a lot accomplished, but now I can do so much more!

  7. If I can do this without the moral support of a family member over my shoulder, I can tackle more projects on my own.

Number 6 was a HUGE revelation for me. I'm certainly not ready to add zippers, or even buttons to my projects yet, but I am comfortable starting on a few of the other projects I have earmarked for the coming months.

Here are a few pictures of my completed projects. The tiebacks aren't on the drapes yet, but hopefully they will be tomorrow. Don't look too close at any of them...just admire them from afar. That's what I'm hoping people will do when they come to the house also!

3 comments:

Shanen said...

Nice Job Nic. I'm impressed. The more you practice...the better you will be. Did I just say that outloud??? Maybe I should undust my sewing machine also.

Jamie C. said...

Nic I love them! Love that fabric too! You did a great job...I laughed about your first lesson, I totally can't cut in a straight line either. Good job tackling the first project, now there's no reason not to keep going! :)

Bryn said...

So cute Nicole! I love the fabric. I remember you showing it to me and thinking how cute it was! Good job! I decided it's much easier to rip the fabric rather than cut it. Seems to work for me!!