I know, it's supposed to be "the more they stay the same," but I promise, with our family, that's just not true!
When Todd and I first met, we spent plenty of time seeing each other after I got off work in the evenings. That was great for me, but for him, it meant a total lack of sleep. He was an instructor out at the police academy and had early morning runs most days of the week. As a few weeks when by, he decided we needed to have an early morning date.
He picked me up at about 6am one Saturday morning, only telling me to wear shorts and tennis shoes. We drove for about 45 minutes out to Canyon Lake and I was so excited thinking we were going to the lake. Oh, I was wrong. Remember the tennis shoes?
Todd drove right past the lake and we ended up parking on the side of the road next to a power pole. He then took out this little handheld GPS and said, "Let's go."
Huh?
Following the directions on the GPS we hiked up this small mountain to find a geocache. What's a geocache? I wondered the same thing.
Basically geocaching is a treasure hunt using a GPS. Geocachers hide small containers with objects in them all over the world, and mark the location of these caches so others can use those coordinates and find the hidden treasure later.
Alright, so off we go, up this mountain looking for a geocache. It was actually quite fun to do. Once we made it to the top we sat on a rock and took one of our very first pictures together. This cache overlooked the lake and gave us a beautiful, early morning scene.
Geocaching became a pasttime for us while dating. Whenever we went someplace new, we would take a few coordinates with us so we could find caches along the way.
After our first hike back to the car, we drove back to the lake and had breakfast at the lakeside restaurant. Not the best food, but certainly a nice view.
Todd and I decided we needed to make this hike each year and take a picture from then on. I don't think we made that decision that day (after all, we'd only been dating for a few weeks), but after we were married 6 months later, we knew our traditional hike would continue.
It's been fun to look back at our pictures each year. First it was Todd and I dating, then Todd and I married, then Todd and I pregnant, the Todd, Dylan and I, and this year, Todd, Dylan Isaac and I.
Just imagine what it was like hiking up this mountain with a toddler and an infant??? Wow.
Todd and I 2003

Todd and I 2004
Todd and I 2005 (pregnant)
Todd, Dylan and I 2006
Todd, Dylan, Isaac and I 2007
3 comments:
What a great tradition! I love seeing your family grow!
Not only do I love that tradition you have, but more importantly, you have pictures to document each year of that tradition...something I know Dylan and Isaac and any other future Bailey's will love looking at. Cute, cute pictures! We really might see you?
Did Todd wear the same shirt in 2004 and 2005???
I love this tradition of yours. Soon your brood won't be able to fit in the picture! =) (I can hope right???)
Post a Comment