Saturday, September 8, 2007

Our First Time

Tonight was our first time in almost two years. I was a little nervous at first, but everything went so well. I can't believe how easy it was and I can't wait until we do it again.

Todd and I hired a babysitter for the very first time tonight. In almost two years we've never had to pay for a babysitter. I know that's one of the perks for living so close to grandparents. Whenever we've wanted or needed to go out, a grandparent has always been available for us. We are so lucky for that.

We knew the time would come when we'd need to find an actual babysitter. Tonight was that night. I must confess that I held off as long as I could. I didn't want to call anyone. I was so nervous. I realized I wasn't nervous about leaving my children with someone outside of family, I was nervous that our kids would be difficult and the babysitter would spread the word that this was not the family to babysit for. Our family always tells us how good the kids are and how easy it is to babysit them, but come on, families lie. =) Especially grandparents. Of course they are going to say the kids were good. I'm hoping a hired sitter won't do that.

All week long I procrastinated making the call. And in the end, I never had to. I went to a church event on Thursday and there were a couple of girls there taking care of kids for the evening so the moms could enjoy the night. I asked one of the girls if she was available, and luckily she was. Before Dylan was born I taught a primary class full of 10, 11 and 12 year old girls so I knew quite a few prospective sitters (including the girls who were here helping out). Now these girls are close to 14 and Todd felt more comfortable with a 14 year old as opposed to a 12 year old. I can't blame him for that so I guess we lucked out that we were able to hold out for as long as we could.

I picked up the sitter tonight at 6 and her evening was going to be a pretty simple one. At least I hoped so. Todd and I fed the kids so all she would have to do was play with them downstairs, give Isaac his bottle, change two diapers and put them both to bed by 8 or so. Not too tough. But I was still nervous. What if Dylan cried all night? What if Isaac swallowed something he wasn't supposed to? Would a 14 year old girl really be able to handle my two kids??

As Todd and I watched a pathetic display of football at the ASU game I didn't give the kids a second thought. Except for the fact that I held my cell phone in my hand the whole time to make sure I didn't miss a frantic phone call from home. And, I kept looking at the clock on my phone to make sure A) it still had battery juice, and B) we would leave early enough to be home on time. Since the game started later than we thought, and the team was playing so poorly, we left at halftime to get home by 10.

Once home all was well. The house was quiet and the sitter was downstairs watching a movie. I couldn't have been more relieved. Until I was told that Isaac spit up all over the floor and she tried to clean it as best she could (not a big deal as this is an everyday occurrence with Isaac) and that Dylan cried for over an hour once she was put to bed. She was checked on once and Dylan whined and said she wanted mama. (I love that girl!) But after being told I would be home soon, Dylan quickly fell asleep.

All in all, not a bad night. Todd and I got out for a few hours, we got our first time under our belts, and our sitter said she would be happy to babysit again.

I figure that was $20 well spent.

1 comment:

MomSmoo said...

$20!! That is it??!! Seriously? It is $15/hour for a babysitter here and I keep thinking a 16 year old is too young to watch my brood. Guess I need to rethink that, huh?