Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Happiest Place on Earth??

I'm not convinced Dylan agrees.

On Thursday my parents took our family to Disneyland as part of our Oceanside vacation package. We got to the park right as it opened and went straight back to It's a Small World. Since three other families had already enjoyed the park, my parents knew the ins and outs and the order in which we should do things.

I've worried about Dylan's first Disneyland experience for quite some time, and worried even more after the way our week started with boo-boos and dentist's trips. Listening to Bryn and Jamie's advice regarding rides, character meet and greets, and the overall experience was so helpful. My mom chose to stay behind with Isaac (who was supposed to go to sleep) so Todd, Dylan, my dad and I could all enjoy that wonderful boat ride and the incessantly happy song. Dylan sat beside me in the boat and was just overwhelmed with all of the dolls and everything that was going on around her. Not once did she smile or show any sort of excitement, BUT, she didn't cry either. I figured that was a good sign to start the day.

We then moved on to Toon Town and Dylan ran around and enjoyed walking through Minnie's house and sitting in the cars along the streets. Then we ran into Pluto.

Not good. Dylan was okay with him from afar, but as soon as we started walking toward him she was up in my arms burying her face in my neck. This turned out to be a very bad omen.

We walked through Mickey's house and when it was time to meet Mickey, again she was buried in my neck. After walking back outside, Minnie was signing autographs too. Dylan pointed her out and said her name, but when it was time to meet her, Dylan wanted none of it. Again with my neck and again she wouldn't look at Minnie.

But not to worry, we got some great shots of her and I with the characters!

After leaving Toon Town we got some lunch and decided it was time to try some rides. We rode on Dumbo and the Teacups and Dylan did okay, but she certainly didn't smile or show any excitement. But again, no crying.

As Todd and I snapped some pictures of Isaac pulling out the sword in the stone, Grandpa decided to take Dylan on the carousel. We thought for sure this would be okay. Bryn and Jamie told us their kids loved the carousel. What kid wouldn't love the carousel? That would be ours.

Earlier in the week we had visited the Wild Animal Park and my mom took Dylan on the carousel there and she hated it. Cried the entire time. In fact, all of the pictures have my mom laughing and smiling and Dylan wailing. Poor thing. I thought for sure it had to do with the scary animals.
Grandma and Dylan
Grandpa and Dylan
Apparenly my dad thought that was the case as well. Off they went to ride and Dylan was doing great, until my dad pointed to me so she could say hello. That's when the tears started to flow. She cried and reached for me during the entire ride. I even tried to hide so she wouldn't see me, but it was too late. She just continued to cry. Just like before, all of the pictures show my dad smiling and Dylan in tears. I felt just awful.

My favorite ride at Disneyland has always been Peter Pan. For as long as I can remember that was the ride I had to go on. There was no way I could leave the park without flying over London. Todd knows this about me and told me he'd be happy to ride with me. Even though the twins mentioned that Peter Pan wasn't a good one for the kids because of the dark, we decided to risk it with Dylan. She loves the movie and is constantly asking to watch "Pan." As we wove around in line she kept pointing out the mermaids and Peter Pan and Captain Hook. When we loaded into our pirate ship for our flight, she held on and called out Peter's name whenever he passed. Not a tear, but not a smile either. At least with this ride there was some animation out of her though.

We went back to It's a Small World and Grandma went on this one with Dylan, Isaac and I. Dylan was a little more animated this time around and started looking around more and pointing at the dolls. Isaac was Mr. Antsy Pants the entire ride, but I think he enjoyed it also.

Our last foray for the day was to meet Ariel. I thought if anything would bring smiles, it would be meeting Mermaid. Wrong. Dylan nestled into my neck once again as we got her autograph but we were finally able to get her to look at the camera for a picture, and I think we even snapped one of Dylan looking at Ariel. That's progress.

Even though there wasn't the smiles and excitement I hoped for from Dylan, I still think her first trip to Disneyland was successful. She's still so young and it's not surprising she was overwhelmed by all she saw. Hopefully we'll continue to make the trip so Dylan and Isaac will have happy memories of the Happiest Place on Earth.

3 comments:

Bryn said...

I think I can see a smile on her face with Ariel...that's good! I love your hair short too by the way! Well, I guess we better start tackling the Santa Clause issue!! :)

Shanen said...

She will love looking back on these pictures. And she wasn't crying...so that IS a good thing. I would love to see more pictures.

Jamie C. said...

Yea an update! I love reading about their first visit to Disneyland! I bet she'll be so happy to have this memory recorded for her! Maybe next time all the little ones can go at the same time and help eachother face their fears! I want to see more pictures too...especially of that sweety Isaac! Love you!