Thursday, September 6, 2007

Color Blind???

As Dylan nears her second birthday I'm always surprised at the things she has learned. She is just a sponge! We drive down the street and I hear her telling me all the things she can see out her window, and she has flashcards that she will sit with and go through as we drive as well. She pulls a card out, looks at the picture and proceeds to show me the card and tell me what it is. When did she learn the difference between a bug and an ant? And a sheep and a goat? I can't guarantee I can make the distinction half the time.

Since our little sponge is learning so much so fast, Todd and I have been working on her colors with her. She pronounces each color pretty well (except for orange, but come on, that's a tough one. I'm sure my pronunciation of the word doesn't help her much. Is it one syllable or two?) Todd walks through the store pointing at things and saying the color of it and she repeats it back to him. I go through the colors in her books and blocks and she does pretty well.

One morning as I was changing her diaper we were going through our morning ritual of looking out the window for cars, trees, birds and dada, when I started asking her where different things in her room were. She knew the floor and the ceiling and walls, the ceiling fan and the chimes hanging in her room. I then asked what color her pajamas were and she quickly responded, "purple."

Oh my gosh! She's got it. All of our hard work was paying off and she can finally recognize her colors. Her pajamas are in fact purple. I was so proud of her. I couldn't believe it.

Apparently, I shouldn't have. Take a look.


For those of you that don't have sound, I am saying the color of each block as Dylan repeats the color to me. (Notice, all the blocks are RED!!) On two different occasions I ask her what color the next block is. Can you guess what she says??

It just cracks me up (actually it frustrates me to no end!) that regardless of how often she hears the color of something, when asked, it's purple. If I ask for a red block, she'll hand me a red block, but if you ask her the color of it, it's purple. Why purple? It's not even the easiest color to say. But purple it is.

Dylan must live in her own purple world and for the time being, I'm just fine with that.

3 comments:

Bryn said...

Oh Nic that is too funny and oh soooooo cute!!! She has me crackin up!! She has been learning so many words and talking so much. Hurry and teach her the "cha, cha, cha" part of the Happy Birthday song so she can sing it next week before she blows out her candles!!

Jamie C. said...

Ahh, nap time, time to catch up on my blogging! That is so cute! I love how you posted it in purple! I don't even remember teaching that color to Gabs, because it's a hard one, and of course red, purple and pink were all pink anyway, so what's the use!? I so need sound so I can hear her cute little voice! Adorable kids, I really hope we do ge tto see you!

MomSmoo said...

I love that girl!! A life time of purple things for her.