Monday, January 19, 2009

Celebrations...

I have to plead the 5th on a claim that I don't like celebrations. Living on my own for so many years holidays, birthdays and other events generally equated to a phone call or some other small "celebration" and never included birthday cakes, parties or the like. Marrying Nicole was like two diesel trucks hitting head on...full cakes (and candles), singing, cup cakes, presents for Easter, or any other justification to give gifts or celebrate for any reason are the norm. It is horrible, I mean I love it honey!

Recently we celebrated a birthday in the family. Those of you that know us (meaning one person on my side and my wife's entire family) know when and what birthday I'm talking about. Notice how I don't mention the rest of my family...thus where I get the celebration or lack of celebration tradition from.


I didn't earn any extra credit when I signed up to work an off-duty job on the big day. No cakes, no singing, no presents.

After coming home I finally broke down. We took the kids to McDonald's and got an ice cream cone for everyone to celebrate. The kids played in the play area and I got to sit peacefully with my wife eating ice cream and watching them have fun. What better present could one ask for? I know you're not supposed to do this but I wish next year is exactly like this one. I love you guys.

5 comments:

DEANNA said...

Your husband and mine are exactly alike. To go from no celebrating to full on craziness was hard, and still is.

I like to call it my hurrcane of what-ever-holiday we are celebrating... or just a regular Saturday afternoon that turns everything upside down.

One day, you will love it... or not. Luckily Tommy just goes with the flow.... but no off duty allowed in this house!!!!!!!

And we only have one sister to celebrate things with... can't imagine 5!!!!

Bryn said...

Happy Birthday! Hopefully you got our messages! I'm glad in the end the day was exactly what you wished for!

Cheryl said...

Happy Birthday, Todd. Had I known it was the day before your bday,I may have eased up a bit on the job list... then again, maybe not. ;-) Glad it worked out the way you wanted.

Shanen said...

Glad your day was just what you wanted. Well maybe minus the long work day, but hopefully the ice cream at the end was worth it. Happy Birthday.

The Curtis Family said...

Happy Birthday Todd :) Sitting quietly at McDonald's sounds perfect.