Actually, it should be Todd writing this entry, but since I was the one that did all of the photo documentation, I'll write instead.
Last weekend was a very busy one. Friday night Todd and I went to a neighborhood holiday party. We'd been invited a few years in a row, but have never attended. This year it worked out and we were able to go. It was a white elephant gift exchange and we had a great time. We walked away with a knock-off Chanel bracelet and some Ferrero Rocher (is that how you spell that?) chocolates. Not bad.
Saturday morning our nephew was baptized and there were a ton of people, but a great morning. Afterward there was a small brunch at my sister's house to celebrate Cole's decision then we were back home ASAP. My dad came with us because it was now time to start work on the kids' Christmas present. I know, five days before the big day and we were just getting started. We bought the kids a swing set for Christmas this year, and it needed to be put together. We couldn't construct it too early or the kids would see it and we wanted it to be a surprise. So, Saturday was the day. Luckily Dylan was invited to bake cookies with her Grandma D so she was out of the house. Isaac slept since it was naptime, and neither of the kids were the wiser.
When we bought the swing set we read online that it took anywhere from 12-36 hours to construct. We were guessing it was dependant on how many people were working on the project and how "construction savvy" they were.
My dad and Todd put in about 6 hours on Saturday, and got through the first 30 pages of instuctions. You'd think that was great considering there were only 35 total pages. Unfortunately, those first 30 pages only used about 20% of the actual lumber pieces needed.
On Sunday Todd's stepdad came over to help. Again, there was another 5 hour day put in, and this time when the day was done, we had a clubhouse.
Monday was the final day available to get the rest of the swing set put together. Todd had to be back at work on Tuesday so it needed to be done. My dad gave up a round of golf to come over and help again. He was at our house be 8am and gone by 1. With a break for lunch in there too. The swing set was done.
Now I just had to continue to convince Todd that the kids couldn't see it until Thursday. Thankfully duty called and I was the one home for the next three days with the kids. It was easy to keep them from looking out the windows (especially since we kept a sheet covering the sliding glass door) and the kids and I just spent most of our time in the basement.
Christmas morning came and we opened our presents. Unfortunately it rained during the night so our swing set was all wet. I should have known the kids wouldn't care. When they saw their present they were out the door and climbing to the clubhouse immediately. Isaac even went down the slide. Since it was so wet he slid backward and hit his head on the slide, flew off the bottom onto the ground and fell backward again and hit his head on the ground. And he laughed the entire way.
Swinging and playing ensued for about 40 minutes, until it was time to go to my parents house for breakfast. Dylan wasn't too happy about that, but with the promise of more presents, and more play time later that day, she finally came inside.
Both the kids were freezing, wet and happy as can be.
4 comments:
That is sooo awesome!
Hope your day was wonderful! I think it was!
So adorable... do you think we can just lock the 4 of them out there during the day when we come??
It looks like the kids love it! I would! I hope they have been enjoying it and playing outside lots! Just don't let anyone fall off and break their arm, okay?
Glad to see that all that hard work was so appreciated. Kids are so cute and fun!
Post a Comment