Monday, December 15, 2008

Have You Seen Our Daddy???


How can you resist these faces?

For the last few days, I've been hearing some version of this question a lot. A whole lot. In fact, I've been uttering my own version of this question myself.

Friday night, Todd got home from work a little later than usual. We ate a quick dinner, then off to the Dollar Store for our 25 Days of Christmas activity. Not 6 minutes into our time in the store, the dreaded call came. Todd was wrapping our activity up before he was even off the phone. He was needed back in the office, and it was time to get home so he could be on his way.

This was not good. He gets called in occasionally and that's fine, but not this night. Any night but this night. You see, Saturday was our family Progressive Dinner (more on that later) and I was hosting appetizers at our house to start the night off. And I'd done nothing to prepare. Absolutely nothing. I had been focused on a few other aspects of our evening and hadn't even begun to prepare all of the appetizers. Friday night, we were supposed to enjoy some Christmas shopping at the Dollar Store, put the kids in bed, and I was going to hit the grocery store to start the prep work for Saturday. Obviously, that wasn't going to be the case.

As we drove home we discussed the timing of the call, and what this call out would entail. Needless to say, we didn't have much information to go on, but it was determined that Todd would wake me up when he got home and if it wasn't too late, I could do some minor grocery shopping at Wal-Mart.

Funny how things work out. Or don't. My wake up call never came, unless you count the 7:15 am "call" I got when the kids woke up. It was an all nighter and unfortunately, no end in sight for Todd.

To make a long story extremely short, he's worked about 45 hours of OT since that call came in on Friday night, and it's not ending any time soon.

The kids miss their dad. I miss their dad. If I had to guess, their dad misses us too. I just hope that some day soon, when the kids ask where daddy is, I can say he's in bed asleep. Because at least then he'd be home.

2 comments:

DEANNA said...

Ohhhhhh, how I hate those dreaded call outs. UUUGGGHH and especially this time of year. We, too, are struggling with the OT call in's and hold overs and even the dare I say it... first time in 10 years... working on Christmas Eve. Someone has to do everything for Santa all by herself this year...... It will all pass.....HOPEFULLY sooner than later.

I always look at it as, thankfully I am home with the kids and don't have to struggle to juggle a sitter.. but it still just kinda stinks, no matter how big the OT check is.

On the bright side.....I heard about how wonderful your dinner was!!! You guys are so lucky to have such a wonderful family!!!

Jamie C. said...

Dylan and Isaac,
I bet your daddy is hanging out with our daddy. Let us know when you find them.
Love, Gabs and Gwen

Sorry Nic, I hope things get back to normal for you.