Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Three Months Late, and A Pair of Shorts, Short

Last year I wrote about an annual tradition Todd and I started when we were dating. You can go back and read about it here. For those that don't want to go back and read it, that's okay, I'll give a brief synopsis now.

Each year, Todd and I drive out to Canyon Lake, hike up a small mountain, and take a picture in the same spot overlooking the lake. Each year, there has been some sort of change that has happened in our lives. First, we were dating, then married, then pregnant, then Dylan and pregnant, then Dylan and Isaac. That's 5 different pictures. Luckily (or not) there is no major change, we're all just a year older.

This year, we made the trip up the mountain again, only three months later than normal. I actually liked the trip much better today than in years passed. This year, the weather was gorgeous and not too hot. We took a water bottle with us, and didn't even really need it. Dylan was able to walk for most of the trail (even though she didn't) and we made great time up the mountain. And, as luck would have it, we took our best family picture on our first shot. It all went downhill after the first shot was captured.





We had a minor issue when we got to the top of the mountain and Dylan needed to go potty. There's nothing like squatting next to a cactus on a mountain top! Of course, there was a slight issue with not being able to control her urine stream so we ended up with wet shorts. And of course, I didn't have an alternate pair to change her into. Then there was Dylan wearing her water shoes in place of tennis shoes. I haven't updated her sneakers this year. And of course, she's already outgrown her shoes from last year. Isaac was a trooper and Todd carried both kids most of the way. That left me to take quite a few pictures. It was a great morning!





All I could think about was how much easier this tradition was going to keep getting. Next year, both the kids will be able to walk and I should have better listeners for our picture.

Go back and look at the previous post, if you still haven't. You can see the pictures from our first 5 years. Here is our family picture this year. Seriously, not a bad shot at all.


3 comments:

Jamie C. said...

Not a bad shot at all, it's adorable! I was beginning to think there was an announcement coming...maybe next year! :) I LOVE Dylan in her water shoes, that made me laugh out loud!

Cheryl said...

beautiful, Nicole! Glad you had such a nice day! It has been gorgeous... what a nice time to take a hike.

Alli grins said...

What a great family picture! It's Christmas-card-worthy!!! That's a big deal (in my opinion) to get a family picture that 1)You're in and 2)Everyone is looking at the camera and appears happy! Way to go:-)