Earlier this month Dylan and I were invited to go see a children's production of Cinderella with Todd's mom, Diana. The show started at 11 and I wasn't sure how Dylan would do. We've been to movies before and Dylan has made it through about an hour of the show before she's restless and ready to do something else. We had no idea how long the production was going to be, but hoped not too long so Dylan wouldn't cause a scene.
We found out once we got there that the show was only about 1 hour and 15 minutes, including a short intermission. That was just perfect. We found our seats and soon realized the theater was full of kids and many of the girls were wearing their princess dresses and waving wands. The show started and Diana and I quickly realized that this production didn't follow along with the Disney version of the movie. The songs were different, the storyline was slightly different and there were some different characters than in the movie. I worried that Dylan wouldn't understand what was going on, but once again, she surprised me and took it all in. It was almost more fun to watch her expression as she experienced her first theater production than watching the actual show. She just took everything in, wide-eyed and in awe.
We made it through the entire show without a problem. Almost. We had a minor meltdown during the last song of the show because Dylan wanted to stand in the aisle to finish watching and I would let her. You see, the cast entered and exited the stage using the aisles so Dylan quite possibly would have been in the way. So, when I wouldn't let her stand in the aisle, the tears and screams quickly started, and loudly, and I rushed her up the stairs and out the door before she interrupted too many around us. She was done crying and requesting to go back in before the song even ended, so all in all, not too bad. Afterward, Diana took her to meet the cast and I was able to snap a few pictures. The king told Dylan she had beautiful, blue eyes, and Cinderella sat down on a bench to pose for a picture.
Dylan understood the entire show, but she did have two slight problems with the production. There was no Jaq and Gus (the mice in the Disney movie), but there was a dog instead that played the main role of Cinderella's friend. The other was the fact that Cinderella's fancy ball gown was pink. Not blue or white like the movie, but pink. That was a tough one for Dylan, because she knew that Cinderella doesn't wear pink...Sleeping Beauty does. So funny.
After the show we went to lunch at Streamers and let Dylan order whatever she wanted, including dessert. We enjoyed lunch and Dylan was so good. I realized that my little girl is growing up, and that these Girl's Day Outs need to happen more often. I'm already looking forward to taking her to her next show. I suppose soon enough Todd will be off the hook because Dylan can start seeing the plays with me instead of me having to drag him.
1 comment:
her hair is getting so long, it makes her look so grown up and pretty. i think the pink cinderella dress would have thrown gabs off too, especially since she is being cinderella for halloween.
Post a Comment