Today is Dylan's birthday. I have a three year old. I love that. We've been hyping Dylan's birthday all week long...and longer I suppose. For about a month I've been asking her about her birthday. She's told me repeatedly that she wants candles, and presents. She's also said she wants a pink birthday cake with strawberries. Those items have been her criteria repeatedly, and she hasn't wavered. I thought for sure she would change her mind a hundred times, but she never did.
Today I'll post numerous times (alright, maybe three or four times) throughout the day. Mainly these posts will be for Todd since he isn't here to share this day with Dylan.
Last year, for Dylan's birthday, I made cupcakes so we could celebrate all day long. We had cupcakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and whenever else we felt like it throughout the day. Now, before anyone gets on me about healthy eating habits, I gave her "real" food also. But, also throughout the day I gave her some little trinkets that I found at the dollar store. The theme last year was Little Mermaid. She had so much fun whenever I gave her a new toy or present. We had so much fun on her birthday, that I knew it had to become a tradition. A day of cupcakes and presents for birthdays. How can you not celebrate all day long, as much as possible on a day that only comes once a year?
I had a little bit more trouble with a theme this year. Dylan doesn't have a favorite show or cartoon character. I don't think she quite gets what favorite means. But, since she was adamant about pink cake and strawberries, of course my mind went immediately to Strawberry Shortcake. She was one of my favorites growing up and she's making a solid comeback with kids again. So, yesterday began my hunt for all things Strawberry Shortcake.
This morning Dylan woke up and stayed in her room. There was no doubt what she was doing. I crept down the hall with the camera to capture what my 3-year old loves to do.
I told her we had a special breakfast and we needed to get dressed and get Isaac up. We went to the kitchen, and I proceeded to frost a couple of cupcakes. Dylan loved hers, and Isaac loved the frosting. I also gave them bananas to eat with their cupcakes. Isaac figured out the easiest way to eat his cupcake too. He ate all the frosting off without touching it and then shoved his finiger in the middle of it and ate it like a sucker. It was hilarious. My favorite part of the meal was when Dylan's cupcake was gone and asked Isaac to share with her. He gave her some cupcake, then, seeing she hadn't eaten her banana (he had eaten his) he requested some of her banana. And so, the trading began. Cupcakes for bananas, you can't beat that.
I gave Dylan her first gift of the day. A Strawberry Shortcake DVD. Dylan has no idea who Strawberry Shortcake is so I didn't get much of a response. I expected this so I explained that it was a new movie we would go downstairs and watch. I really hope she gets it, or else this whole theme thing is going to fly right out the window.
Luckily, I started to movie and Dylan was instantly mesmorized. She didn't take her eyes off the tv and even Isaac was spellbound for awhile. Todd even called to talk to Dylan and even though I paused the movie, her eyes would not be diverted. Too funny.
I'll update some more later as Dylan gets some more treats and trinkets. After all, this day is all about Dylan.
1 comment:
Happy Birthday Dylan!!!
Post a Comment