I've heard this story 100 times before and each time I thought to myself, "Ya, ya, ya." Well I now know the stories my father told were true. And more importantly I think he put a curse on me 30 years ago that has finally come through.
The story goes that when I would visit my father the sleeping arrangements would often have me sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag or if the young kid (me) got scared I was allowed to sleep on the other side of the bed from pops. I was referred to as "the breather" or "the toucher" because apparently I would inevitably end up curled up next to my father and either breathing on his face or touching his leg with my foot. I've even heard the story that I would end up perpendicular to him in the bed with both of my feet resting somewhere by his head. I believe that is when the curse was first said.
Fast forward 30 years. This weekend the family and I had a nice weekend retreat at a cabin. The first night we tried to put the two kids together in the same room but found out 3 hours later that they would rather talk and giggle then go to sleep. So night #2 and night #3 we separated them with Nicole sleeping in one room with one kid and me in the other.
Night #3 I won the chance to share a queen size bed with 3 year old Isaac. Nicole gave me assurances that he is a good sleeper and she falls asleep with him all of the time on the couch or during nap time. Either she is talking about a different kid or she is one of the best used car salesmen I have ever seen.
Isaac was horrible. He continued to reach out his hand and touch my shoulder. When I moved my shoulder to shrug him off his next move was to actually reach up and touch my ear. Then my face. This occurred every twenty seconds for about 5 minutes before I asked, "What are you doing?" His reply, "I don't want to lose you daddy."
I told him I wasn't going anywhere and he could stop touching me. So he did...with his hands. About twenty seconds later I felt a little kick on my butt. Then twenty seconds later another one. I couldn't help but laugh.
Throughout the night he continually tried to worm his way between my body and the mattress. Then I would move and he would do it again. He offered me the use of his Bat(man) pillow and his puppy (stuff animal). At one point I turned to face him with my hands out front like an offensive linemen. That seemed to work for awhile but I let my guard down.
A few minutes later I seriously took an elbow to the forehead as the little kid rolled over. About 3 am I took a foot to the side of the head (cheek) and found him PERPENDICULAR TO ME!
We finally made it through the night and managed to sleep in until 8am. All I could think of were the stories I heard over and over from my dad. It is 30 years too late but Dad I'm sorry. And Isaac...I can't wait to see what happens to you in 30 years!
1 comment:
That is the cutest thing that he said he didn't want to lose you. So sweet. Gwen is the same way as Isaac, a totaly disaster to try to sleep by.
Post a Comment