Saturday, August 1, 2009

Quick Wit


Yesterday my mom and I were out and about having lunch, doing some shopping and generally just spending time together. We talk a lot on these outings, about a lot of different things. We started talking about Dylan and about how quick she is.

Now, when I say quick, it has nothing to do with her speed. This is about her intellect, processing and wit. She's a quick one this three year old of mine.

My mom told me about a conversation Dylan had with my sister regarding Isaac, her cousin and playing together. Apparently, the cousin is Dylan's friend, not Isaac's and Isaac was not invited to the next get together, no matter what my sister had to say about it.

As my mom and I talked about Dylan and what a quick little girl she is, we both laughed at just how smart she was and just how fast she catches on to things being said.

Case in point:

Yesterday we dropped her and Isaac off down the street so Todd and I could grab a quick dinner. When we returned an hour or so later this is the story we were told.

Katie's sister (who is an elementary school principal) had come over to pick up her son, and had been introduced to Dylan. She asked Dylan how old she was and Dylan responded, "I'm three." When she was then asked when she turned four, Dylan responded immediately with, "On my next birthday" and turned and left the room to continue playing.

Katie and Wendy told me that they laughed and laughed at her response and that they had never heard a better answer to that question. Wendy then told me that I shouldn't worry about sending Dylan to kindergarten a year early, she'd do just fine.

Apparently the quick wit and sarcasm that Todd and I each possess was passed along to our daughter.

No comments: